Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Friday 5 March 2010








Sent my student profile off today, mentioned the cube idea to her so I'll see what she says.




I went sketching and photographing the birds and the settings today down in Talbot Green (the place where all the Jackdaws congregate). Got some great images - like the one above which shows really good shapes for their wings, I tried sketching them flying too but I ended up getting stuck with the same wing shape, so it will be useful to have this reference to vary the shapes. One sketch I did of the setting is this long panoramic one (helped by the fact that one of my new sketch books is a big A3 one, bound at the thin side when held horizontally, so when it's opened out it's a double A3 in length). I used this to sketch a wide view of the trees and lampposts silhouetted against the setting sun. It could look quite dramatic worked up in oils on a big format.







The setting used to be old marsh land but is now covered by shops like Matalan, Asda and - as can be seen from the sketch above - McDonalds. I thought about editing this from the sketchbook and keeping the image as a pure sort of 'wildlife' setting, but I thought I actually liked it's inclusion, it serves as a counterpoint to the surroundings. The birds have probably been using that spot for a lot longer than what McDonalds have and I like the way that the 'golden arches' sign is diminished by it's surroundings.




I'm going to try and merge the images of the photo's of the birds flying with the sketch of the setting and the trees. I'll probably try it in acrylics on a largish piece of paper, I'd also like to try it with a painting knife and get thick texture on it as I have been reading a lot on Kyffin Williams recently and I love his use of the painting knife.



3 comments:

  1. Commenting probably several months too late here, but wanted to say I'm glad you left in the Golden Arches. It adds so much more...

    On a personal level, this painting also brings back a wonderful memory for me. I was walking near a fast food restaurant when suddenly a wadded-up old burger wrapper fell--plonk!--on my head. I looked up and saw two crows sitting on a lamp post. Between them was a pile of wrappers they'd gathered up. I swear they were laughing. They were literally rocking back and forth in what looked to be pure merriment. By all appearances they were dropping wrappers onto the heads of people passing underneath for entertainment. The intersection of birds and fast food joints is not so out of place. Anyway, sorry for the long comment here, but I was quite taken with your banner painting from when I first saw your blog. Birds are so fascinating, whether they are starlings or jackdaws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellen, I'm feeling rather starstruck that you decided to comment! It was one of your images in the Bridgeman Education site (which our college subscribes to and very kindly allows us to view) which found it's way into my paper based logbook, the one called "Stormy Day, Greenwich Park" I loved the texture of the crows and the branches, and the cold windy day feeling you get from it.
    So glad you like my painting, it's really made my day! And glad that you still love birds despite their sometimes bad habits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like your painting. And birds... I'm currently pondering a couple of book projects with cut out birds in them. I'm not sure if anything will come of them or not! Starstruck? Oh my...

    ReplyDelete