Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Thursday 4 March 2010

first day

So I've done my shopping- stocked up on sketchbooks; small, medium and large, I'm just flicking through the course book trying to make sense of it and then I'm going to send my profile to my tutor.




I've got lots of ideas for the animal project but don't know if it will fit into the brief, the main part of it being painting onto a cube with a different view of the painting on each side of the cube. It's not necessarily going to be a huge cube - maybe just a mock up size of a full size version, but we'll see how it works out.

My idea for it came when I started thinking about swarm patterns in fishes and birds - notably starlings and jackdaws, and this time of year (early spring) the jackdaws have been getting really social and swarming around loads in their groups. There's an area called Talbot Green a few miles from where I live and the jackdaws swarm there for their big communal gatherings where each of the family groups join together and then end up roosting in the trees and big pylons. I love watching them, as do my children, and they make so much noise as they're swooping around that it's really exhilarating especially as they sometimes swoop down really low in the semi darkness (it's around the dawn and dusk times that they do it) - we sometimes drive down just to watch them if the conditions are really good - calm and dry. there have been evenings when the sun is setting just behind them with rich shades of indigo and orange, and the black, dramatic silhouettes of the birds is really striking.




It got me thinking about the freedom they have, the ability to travel in three dimensions - not just left or right like us in a crowd - but up or down, diagonal and side to side. My husbands science magazine 'focus' was saying that computers have been able to replicate the patterns that large schools of fishes and flocks of birds can create by giving the computer a few simple rules such as keeping a certain distance from the creatures around you and always following the one in front of you. I've wanted to do paintings of the swarm patterns they can create but the experience of flying in three dimensions is what made me think of the cube. I can imagine it being suspended by it's corner and allowed to spin in space as each one of the paintings comes into view giving the effect of the swarm changing and morphing.




I'll post some pictures and images, I imagine YouTube would have lots of footage of the birds flying, which would be really interesting to watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment