Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Movement Experiment

This is the final image for another exercise for movement which I wrote about in my first sketchbook on page 69, but I wanted to include here to show it along side the previous movement painting of the swimming pool because of its similar flickering effect, thought here it was achieved through different means, which were suggested in the course book. It said to try cutting up a photograph or a drawing into thin strips and glue them down with thin areas of white showing in between. I took the idea a step further and took three separate paintings, all of kites which were painted from photo's that I took on holiday, then I cut these into strips and glued them down with the three separate images layed down in an alternate pattern. I'm really pleased with the effect this has given, again like the last painting, as though it's seen through a prism. It does make it look like the kite is moving and that the tail is flickering around. A very interesting effect and a worth while experiment. I also love how simple the image is, especially the colouring, which was inspired by the David Hockney painting "A Bigger Splash" with its pristine blue water and sky, and how such a flat slab of colour could still help to convey movement, maybe because it acts as such a strong counterpoint to the movement of the splash in the water, and here the kite in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment