Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Sunday 27 June 2010

Developing the "Movement" painting




This image shows the work that was done in the house to try and soften the edges of the shadows. I worked this time with a paint brush, as opposed to the painting knife, as I wanted to give it a blurred effect, and to work the wet paint into each other. I also made the effort to lighten the shadows because the contrast between the light and dark areas looked too harsh. The illusion of dips and rises is now starting to look more effective.

I've painted this mountain before for the "Relating to Other Artists" course where we were asked to paint a "Composition of Greens" towards the end of the course. I also worked on site for that painting, and developed studies to work from in my sketchbook. But the composition then was quite different because we were asked to paint different shades of green, so I decided to include another hill into the composition, which is seen to the right of this hill, and is covered in deciduous trees. The contrast between the bright green of this hill, which was seen in direct sunlight at the time, and the darker bluey green of the other hill was quite effective. I also worked with a painting knife predominantly for that painting, using a brush for a small amount of detail, and my inspiration for the image was the work fo Kyffin Williams who was a great Welsh Landscape artist who also painted using a painting knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment