Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Monday 28 June 2010

Finished Painting



The finished painting converys a lot of the movement that I was hoping it would, both in the rippling of the fields in the rise and fall and the suggested movement of the wind from the growth pattern of the trees. The texture of the paint had a lot to do with the flow of the grass and the leaves, which is what conveys this movement so well. Working from the studies from home, after doing the preliminary work on site, was interesting because of the challenge it offered, and also the scope for developing the image beyond what was presented in front of you when sat looking at the hill.

If I had to do it again I would develop more detail in the main tree, because it does look slightly blob-like, also looking at the photo of it now I can see how the two areas of sunlit grass, on the left and the right, don't match up colour wise, the area on the right looks slightly more blue compared to the greeny yellow area on the left, but as the painting is quite large I didn't notice this at the time.

I'm glad I used acrylics, because the faster drying time enabled me to apply many more layers than I would have been able to achieve with oils. Having said that, I've never actually painted on site with oils, so that would be an experiance worth having. I know that project 12 offers another landscape painting, so maybe that will be my opportunity to experiment with it. I think I will invest in the seperators you can get, that enable you to layer the board you paint on to another board which prevents the oils from getting smudged in transport.

No comments:

Post a Comment