Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Sunday 9 May 2010

Features for Figures in an Interior



































I've spent a while working on the features of the girls, painting and repainting and rubbing out and starting again. I'm trying not to get frustrated but when I shut my eyes I can see paint!


I decided to take a leaf out of Lucian Freud's book and paint with a longer handled brush, which has given more texture on the left face which is more interesting and "painterly." It's also enabled me to add more texture to the hair, which I'm pleased with. The shading is coming on better too, plus the features are more accurate, especially on the face on the right. The eye closer to the foreground on this face has given me a lot of trouble, mostly because of the tricky angle, which I thought was on a flatter angle than what it is in the original photo. This has resulted in me having to paint over and start again around five times, but I'm glad I made myself do it, rather than put up with an area I knew was wrong, and have to see it as wrong every time I looked at it.

I think I'll concentrate more on the clothing now, and work my way down the painting, so I can see it as a whole, then I can decided if the features need any further work. Plus I think I'll have to add more shadows to the left figures arm, the one closer to the edge of the canvas, as it still looks a little flat, plus the colours don't match up with the colours of the face.















No comments:

Post a Comment