Jackdaws At Dusk

Jackdaws At Dusk

Monday 19 July 2010

Adding the oil paints




This shows the first layer of oil paint added to the base coat of acrylic shown previously. The thick layering of dried acrylic chunks is still visible and provides an interesting relief to the flat layer of the canvas. The light sourse for this photo is from above and shows the texture off very effectively.

My colour scheme here is based on several paintings by John Piper, which I've included in my sketchbook studies, as he was quite distinctive in his use of striking blue for the sky, with the dark swirling clouds, coupled with yellow ochre used for the building. At such an early stage the building itself is still looking very neat and clean, though this will be adapted as the oil paints dry and I'm then able to scumble and mix in darker colours into the base coat.

The background here is still very dark, though detail will be added, notably in the foreground for the gravestones. I'm unsure wheather to bring the trees on the sides into their full colour range or keep them as shadows to frame the building. At the moment I'm quite happy with how dark they look. There's also a dry stone wall that's right in the forground and I'm looking forward to utilising the dried acrylic relief here to recreate the effect of rough stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment